Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Prey

Pteradons fly the air above Singapore. Skim feeders and harmless, they are a protected species. The Singapore government is trying methods to keep them out of the city area as Pteradon guano is messy. They are lucky that the sounds of the city keep them out at sea most of the times. Sitting by my cubicle I watch two circle on a current, their wings outstretched. And I think that I'd like to be prey. It would be religious to be an object of desire of hunger to something as beautiful as that. That is why we marvel at the great cats, the larger sharks. So I'd like to imagine a more carnivorous pteradon.

Imagine the tall buildings crawling with people like mites. The pteradon perches on the ledge, drills a hole and pulls out the squirming crawling grubby executive and takes him home to her brood of naked scaly pteradon hatchlings high up and far away up on Swissotel. The expensive buildings have learned to fight back with shock grills and the visitors at Swisshotel with a view of the nest are charged double. And I imagine, I'm alone working on a Sunday, feeling safe as my office building is empty when a shadow falls and a great eye stares at me through the window.