Sunday, November 18, 2007

Asperger's

As a part of my fanboy existence (I won't say fangirl because that has connotations of shrieking, crushes on characters) I frequent some forums (I won't say which). I came across this poster (someone who posts in the forum) who seemed bent upon having a certain development take place in the future (not a part of the actual material of course, but speculation). Now many fans are like that. they get vehement, noisy, rude, brash and take any arguments against their pet theories personally. Fanatics, I see the origin of the word quite clearly in their behaviour. This poster, he seemed very controlled in his vehemence. Following his posts with curiosity, I found his arguments sane, his sentences structured well, his grammar flawless and spelling correct, his behaviour polite. The only faults were a) I didn't agree with him (a minor fault since its a difference of opinion) b) his rather single-mindedness which was intense., yet coupled with an odd kind of detachment. It was very puzzling, very alien.

I then came across a post where he mentioned he suffered from asperger's syndrome, a form of autism. It explained everything. My casual following of his posting life took on something of an unnatural interest on my part. I do not know anyone with autism personally and like I've said, I'm curious.

I found out his condition a few months back from older posts and I looked at his behaviour chronologically. You know, he was getting better. And oddly enough, I felt proud of him. When other people berated him for his behaviour he apologised and took the criticism well. I kind of felt prouder then. So I dropped him an email telling him that. I immediately regretted it. What business had I, a non member, a non friend, a mere observer to break the fourth wall? Then he replied.


"Thanks, I really appreciate your support. It means a lot. (material related to his pet theory removed here)

If nothing else, I just get bothered by what some fans say. But then, it wouldn't surprise me if I found out that any of them have Asperger's or some other condition either.

Just curious. Do you have Asperger's or know someone who has it? I'm doing my best to make other people aware of it. It makes dealing with it much easier. I'm actually doing a course specifically catered for those who have the condition, and it made me realize that I am not alone, and DEFINITELY not the worse case.

Thanks for the message. Send another one if you wish. I'll be looking forward to it."


I am going to take that as a vindication of my having sent the first message in the first place. I won't be sending another one of course, but I'm glad I sent the first one.

One does not realise how important the anonymous lives that people live on the net and forums are. Many are strong and respected members of larger online communities and come from such different groups. You can see how maturity is not a function of age or background and how responsibility is shouldered by some very different people. In one case a traffic analyst, a 17 year old college kid, a 30 year old school teacher, a 12 year old school kid, a 25 year old artist were the forum moderators for the biggest lemony snicket site. I sometimes am ashamed of looking in from the outside, but other people's lives, societies are fascinating and this is a such a wonderful way to study them. A microcosm of a larger world.