Last week or so, I've been struggling in different ways with issues of maturity and authority (and not necessarily mine). I have a colleague my age but she's a weather vane. The slightest thing puts her into a panic and I've reassured her often enough to feel like a mother. She comes to me with all the office gossip and then asks me unanswerable questions like "why did he say that?" How should I know. I rebuked her for it. I rebuked her also in her incessant quest to find out how much I'm paid. She's honestly old enough to be a little less inquisitive. She's also old enough to be able to hold an opinion in her head longer than a conversation with anyone else. She's too easily influenced, too easily swayed, does not think enough for herself. Sigh. On the plus side, she's hard working and sincere. I'm only mentioning that to assuage my guilt in bitching.
There's another girl, five years older than me. She's recently discovered the joys of being female, doing her hair, buying pretty clothes, watching her figure. Only its a little cloying watching her artless joy at all this. She measures the shrinking of her waist with audible glee, exercises in the empty meeting rooms, crows about the latest grooming she's discovered. I don't think I was like this even when I was in the difficult ages between 12-16. If and when I decided to add to my upkeep, it was a quiet affair, not blared out for all to hear. Sure when one's having a girly talk at midnight in kaftans and pajamas, we might laugh and discuss it or ask questions discreetly. I draw the line at office, if not well before. Sure you may think its so sweet and sincere and honest of her but face it, office is not a place to display your lack of worldly knowledge.
And then there is me. I got flouted by my colleague who disbelieved me. Rajesh and I quarrelled later about how I handled it. I told him to go check it with an independent authority. Rajesh said I should have just put my foot down. I don't know who was right. The next morning I sent out an email stating the plan of action. When aforesaid minion-colleague debated it, I told him there was no room for discussion at the moment and that Satish agreed with me. The flouting has stopped there at the moment. Have I lost authority from this? I've decided to keep my chatting with minion-colleague to a minimal level. Being too friendly will only encourage him and to keep a distinction will make remember there is a distinction. I am all for discussion but blatant insubordination is just wrong.
Ah the pitfalls of age. Sometimes I feel sad for the passing years. At other times I welcome the wealth of experiences they bring.