Sunday, August 26, 2007

Everyone loves bananas

I got the zoo really early yesterday. Made it in time for the morning feed. There were no visitors about. I asked the keeper if I could help out. He said sure and passed me a bunch of bananas. Immediately, three lories came and perched on my shoulders calling and asking for pulp. A lemur (Flossie, i think) tugged on my arm, its tiny hand, warm and alive. I held out a banana to it. It took it nimbly and stuffed its mouth. I was balancing (Or trying to) my attention and the bananas between the three birds and the lemur when I felt a tugging on my shirt. I was standing by the balustrade on the viewing platform and the sloth and come on to the railing and was tugging at my shirt to get my attention for bananas. Oh, that sloth. He had a huge silky wet nose with this he cautiously smelt my hand and took in the mushed banana I held out. He had tiny sharp teeth but such a soft wet tongue. His little eyes peered out at me as he slowly took food from my hand. He chewed and swallowed slowly and examined my hand for remains and gave it a final lick before asking for more. Now sloths have got a bad rep as slow moving. It's true that they are, but its a survival tactic. Predators scan by movement. A slow moving animal is likely to be missed. And when they are surprised or feel the need to defend themselves, they can be quick and vicious with their huuge claws. I wasn't worried on that count though. This guy was eager by sloth standards and there was no tension between us. In fact I had to hold in my urge to stroke and baby him. The lemur was impatient with the attention I was giving the sloth. What's the big deal she seemed to say and pawed me a few times, to remind me of my obligations to her. She was adorable. She greedily ate all the bits I gave her, smelling my hand for left overs. So yeah, there I was, hands full with peeled bananas, a sloth at my right, a lemur at the railing at my left and 3 parrots squawking noisily perched on any part of me which offered a grip.


Bliss.