Sunday, July 29, 2007

Agatha Christie

Finished reading her autobiography. It was a really good read. It starts off a little insipid, but it grew better as the chapters progressed. The things she did, the people she met, her relationships are all detailed, but the best part was hearing her voice through it all. Its one thing to read her books, quite another to listen to her tell you things. She emerged as a charming, shrewd woman who enjoyed herself. There is surprisingly little conceit or arrogance in her words and she never seems to take herself seriously.
It was good really. However, some things are not addressed, her disappearance in 1926 is glossed over, her second husband's infidelities are not mentioned. She's entitled to her privacy, I guess. I can imagine it all anyway, these are small gaps that one can fill in. Her disappearance is easy to fill in and I imagine she tolerated Max Mallowan's infidelities, she was really so much older than him, she must have been wiser and more mature. They seemed to have a good understanding and seemed to have stayed friends at least to her death.
She says she was ready for death, in her epilogue, written in her final illness. I almost understand that. Hers was a full life.