Tuesday, June 12, 2007

All that blah blah

I seem to hate exaggerated hyperbole extremely. Everytime someone comes up to me and starts telling me about some amazing fact I doubt it when it seems unreasonable. Oh, I grant you, my doubt is proved wrong at times, but other times.. well I'll put it to you and you decide.

Incident 1:
Someone told me that the first musical ever staged was the POTO. I was sceptical and wondered if they were thinking of Andrew Lloyd Weber and perhaps considering his musical the first in the line of a new era (though that's pushing it also). They insisted and insisted. I went back and checked it over. The Beggars opera was a well known long running hit in mid 19th century whereas Leroux only wrote the POTO in 1909. Case proven. Bullshit

Incident 2:
Someone who saw the statue of David was extolling the virtues of Michelangelo. Now, I have an extremely healthy respect for Michelangelo (referred to as M. henceforth) and all the other original renaissance men. However his story was too large to swallow. He said the human body has 200-300 names muscles (Wrong, to start with, there are over 600 named skeletal muscles), however Michelangelo had depicted 800+ as he included even those unnamed. Well, I dunno. It seemed too many, even then. You'd end up with the youthful David looking like Arnie. Not all muscles have definition. Anyway, You read about it, think about it and decide. Get a muscle chart and start comparing. There are sites on the web which give you a 360 degree look at David.
And its well known he deliberately left out a muscle between the spine and the right shoulder blade. He said he did because of an imperfection in the marble. This whole discussion is pointless anyway. The sculpture is beautiful as art, not as an lesson in anatomy. The proportions are slightly off, his hands and head are larger. He had a point to make, maybe. What this point is, well, its up to you when you see it.
Anyway, bullshit.

No comments: