Monday, October 8, 2007

Penang

Just back from penang. My body feels dull. My mind feels dull.

We did a lot, saw a lot, ate very little. Or at least, I ate very little. That would explain the dull feeling. I'm going to have to recharge over the next few days with sleep and food. Thing is, though we had fun, not all of it engaged my mind. Every time I was disposed to admire something, A would switch into documentary mode and say something inane like "Look at those hill, beautiful, just beautiful. Look at the verdant greenery and the salubrious climes." And soon I was stubborn and refused to look at any scenery. Near the end I was blatantly asking A to please be quiet. And B was an animal. All we got from B were requests for food. I mean, I get hungry too. But the animal hunger in her, the chomping, the dull bored look in the eyes unless food was mentioned, sometimes it gave me a chill. C, was perhaps most suited to my frame of mind. I wanted to banter, to joke and laugh. As it was, I had to pull A's leg unmercifully to keep my mind alive. I wanted to look at the crabs on the battered rocks, the moss on the stones, chat with the waiters, bob in the sea. It was no one's fault really. And the thing is, bloggy, to get everything, really everything you want is a luxury. And the end you have to pick and choose the most important. And to me, that is to preserve some amount of peace in the group, make sure no one is disconsolate (B about food), make sure no one is riding roughshod over everyone else (A), or doesn't drown or is embarrassed about it (Sorry C, but that's you, not that I could have saved you if I tried and you had no need to be embarassed, coz it looked scary.) Coz when a group goes out of harmony, its very disturbing. And I've been on the wrong end of all of this (i.e. in the shoes of A,B and C) at times and its not nice.
Enough psychobabble.
On to the trip itself. I was in the sky (para sailing), in the water (and choppy it was, aye) and on a restaurant which might have for all we could see, at the end of the world. And because that place deserves a post of its own, I'll say no more here
There were spiders spinning their webs across a waterfall, hairy crabs doing their territorial thing on the rocks, one brahminy kite, several dogses, a few puppies, snakeses and snakeses.
The water sports were muy fun. We let rip on the jet ski. Lucky yandan was my pillion, she weighed me down, or we would have flown off. A bumpy, choppy, jump the waves experience. The para sailing was effortless, too effortless, I didn't get any real depth of feeling. A tame ride: I lifted off well and went up high, too high. But we went around dutifully and I landed easily. I was so high, because I'm light (?), the beach boys told me. I shall post a picture and show you how high.
The banana boat was a bit of an anxiety. Those who fell off, had a real hard time getting on. When I eventually fell off, I realised it was quite difficult. But I'm generally calm in the water. I can imagine it must have been worse for others.

My favourite moments: The restaurant on the top of the hill and the 15 minutes of sheer fun on that jet ski.