Saturday, October 13, 2007

Feeding the Dog

"Give the dog 3 slices of bread when we're gone."
"Yes, Ma" and I shut the door.
Brutus, who is by the door frame looking like his family has abandoned him, turns his attention to me. They say dogs cant understand speech.
I go to the breadbox, fish out three slices of bread and regard them unconcernedly. The dog who is shadowing me, looks up at me anxiously. I sit down on the floor, bread in hand and seem to forget about him. He sit down by me, but pride dictates that he look a little unconcerned too. It might almost work but for the drool.
As I continue to ignore him, he sighs deeply. A heartfelt, rending sigh.
I still ponder the mysteries of the universe. He sighs again, glancing at me, moving a little closer. His eyes soon are fixed on the bread. I casually switch hands, and his eyes are riveted to them.
He sighs agains, a yelping sound underlying it and casually paws me.
Poor puppy. I give in and demand a kiss. Big mistake. Slobbery dogs are not good when they bump their noses against you, but I love him so much, I'm swayed completely and give him all three slices in one go.

A performance piece.