Sunday, September 16, 2007

Chains

oh my god. I'm free, I'm free, I'm free.
I knew it was nagging me the conversation I had with Jas and B at work, who both want their first child to be male because he'll keep the family name and look after everything. My god. Haven't we thrown off these patriarchal notions already? What is there in a family name? Why can't a woman look after the family. How on earth will there be equality if women deny it to themselves and to their own children. Chauvinism from men is bad enough, but to meet this from a woman. What kind of opinion do you have of yourself?
And then I was reading of a recreation of early 19th century house life and was reading the chafing of the women. These were successful 21st century women who couldn't take it. In a recreation of 4 weeks. Depression, boredom, irritation result.
Thank God I'm free. Free from having to be one of those women and free from chains that women are willing to deck their own children with.