Sunday, April 29, 2007

Manuel Noriega

During the invasion of Panama, Manuel Norriga hid in the vatican embassy. The US troops surrounded it as stepping into the embassy would violate international law (thereby affecting US embassies around the world). Now here's the bit that made me laugh out loud at work. The troops guarding it attempted to force him out by playing hard rock.

I quote from the "Grenada, Panama and Haiti, Joint Operational Reform" study written by Dr. Ronald Cole
After Noriega fled to the papal Nunciatura, U.S. troops played loud rock music outside the residence. When the Vatican and the diplomatic community complained to President Bush, the Chairman ordered Thurman to stop the noise.

Apparently the playlist included "Nothing's gonna change my love for you" and "Panama" by Van Halen.

Another source tells me
On Christmas morning, Thurman spoke personally to Monsignor Laboa at the gate of the Nunciatura. As Thurman turned to depart a reporter from an upper floor window of the nearby Holiday Inn shouted, "Hey General Thurman, how ya doin'? Merry Christmas! Fearing that reporters could use powerful microphones to eavesdrop on delicate negotiations between Cisneros and Laboa, General Thurman ordered that a music barrier be set up around the Nunciatura. Later, as hard rock music blared around the clock, a psychological operations specialist claimed it was part of a campaign to harass Noriega.

My Notes: (Nunciatura is of course the apostolic nunciature, which I refer to as the vatican embassy above. Monsignor Laboa was the papal nuncio at the time of the incident. A papal nuncio is somewhat equivalent to an ambassador. )


I liked the first story better.

To al those of you who lived through this and saw it on the news, I beg your pardon for raking up old news but I was only 6 and if I knew where Panama was, I'll be satisfied. Oh you lucky ones who saw this parody on live tv.

What happened to Noriega? After the music stopped, a few days later there was a demonstration by many Panamanians (I dare you to repeat that fast) and some say thats why he surrendered on 3rd January 1990. Who knows. He was charged for many things which are too boring to list here now (go read it up) and was sentenced to 40 years in 1992. Later in 1999 it was reduced to 30 years.

Newsflash: Wikipedia tells me that
The Federal Bureau of Prisons website currently gives Inmate Noriega (ID # 38699-079) a projected release date of September 9th 2007.

It's true! I checked it on the bureau of prisons site. http://www.bop.gov. I'm marking my calendar as I type (I'm very dexterous, no?)

Well Noriega. He's caught my eye.

No comments: